Tuesday, January 21, 2014

FVD Speed Dial

I had already written about Speed Dial in a previous post, but I was starting to get a little bored with the background being a standard color, I wanted a picture to display on the new tab.  So I checked out some themes and found one by FVD Speed Dial.  Once I found the theme, I thought I would just check out the FVD extension.  So I looked at it and decided to download it to the browser.

When you initially download it, the download stopped at 75% and then asks if you want to install something else.  I didn't install it, but the extension was already loaded onto my browser, so don't worry if you don't want the other app that it is asking you to get, guess that is just how they make money.

The FVD speed dial is great.  You can set the tiles to whatever URL you want, but there are some nice features that the other speed dial did not have.  Instead of loading an image of the webpage you are going to, you can add the URL of another image and use it instead.  I thought this was nice as using the logo of the website was prettier than simply a preview of the webpage.  They do have some suggestions for some sites that you might type in, but for others I simply did a google image search for the site and found logos and used them instead.

I was then able to add a background to the speed dial.  They have themes that you could use, but I went ahead and did another google image search for what I wanted to see in my new tab.  I copied the URL of the image and pasted it into the speed dial settings and now have a much nicer speed dial than the one I had before.  The setup took about 10 minutes, but I think I will like it much better and I chose an image that was soothing to me.  Here is the image of my new speed dial.  Hope this helps.



No comments:

Post a Comment